Sunday 23 August 2020

losing my lotto ticket

 Introduction

It all started on a roasting hot day, when my family and I decided it was a good idea to go to the beach. When we got there we played in the soft golden sand and did lots of swimming in the salty warm water.  It was nearly 12 o’clock, so time for some cold ice cream. 


I was given the task to buy the ice creams for the family from the local corner dairy.  I got distracted when I saw the lotto stand and decided to buy one to see if we could get lucky. “Wow the person who wins will be rich”, I said to the shop owner.  

“Yes, $50 million would be a nice prize!” he replied.

Having my hands full, the only place for the ticket was my pocket, that’s when it all went wrong!


Main Events

Humming as I walked quickly back with all the melting ice creams, I handed them out and said “kids enjoy!”.  It was such a glorious day that it wasn’t long before everyone headed back to the water to swim, of course the ticket in my pocket was forgotten.


We reluctantly packed up at the end of the long hot day.  Lugging everything to the car we crammed it all inside the boot.  “Have we got everything?”, “I hope so,” said Bella.  Reaching home we began the horrible task of unpacking soggy wet towels and sandy beach chairs. The salty, wet togs went into the wash and then straight into the dryer.


Saturday night is lotto night.  Bella said, “I’d better get my ticket ready, in case I became a millionaire”. Then I remembered that I bought one at the corner dairy, but I didn't know where it could be. In my swimming shorts pocket or, it could have fallen out of my pocket into the water? What am I going to do? 


I checked all the places that I could think of at home, but I didn’t have any luck. Tommy said “what about in the boot?” Kayla said, “have you checked the washing machine?”, Bella was running around like a headless chicken, trying to help.  I was thinking, what if we had won the $50 million and I'd lost the ticket?.


We all went to bed and dreamed about where on earth it could be.


I came down to breakfast and Bella was folding all the washing from the dryer.  She was checking everything carefully as she went.  Coming to my shorts she felt something crinkly in the pocket.  She screamed “I think I’ve found it”,  “ahhhhhh” Kayla yelled back. We all sprinted to her as she extracted a very wrinkled lotto ticket.  “Lucky the ticket is printed on plastic paper!!!” “Did we win, did we win?” Tommy was shouting.  “Let’s check it online,” I said.  “Bella you call out the numbers while I circle the numbers on the ticket”


“Where could we go for dinner with $50 million in the bank? Kayla asked.  


After completing that task we realised that we had won the lotto. There was lots of jumping up and down and screaming with excitement and unbelief. We decided to wait a few days for things to settle down before taking the lotto ticket to be checked. Once that was completed we got advice on how to manage this big amount of money.


1 comment:

  1. Good Job Elliott!
    Your story was very entertaining and I enjoyed reading it. I like how you organised your ideas clearly.
    Tanisha.

    ReplyDelete

Halseywood Movie